Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Consumerism

consumerism.

After moving back into my parents house one of the greatest struggles I have has is finding work. I don't want to be extremely picky in what job I will take, but I'm not going to take just anything.

First off, I haven't eaten from a fast food place (minus subway) since I was 16 years old, and there is definitely no way that I am going to work in one. The smell of those places make me feel nauseated. Plus I have ethical issues with the treatment of animals, and much of it is just so terrible for you.

I am so tired of consumerism. Greed. I have only ever worked in retail, and I am tired of people buying more than they need. I am tired of people selling things that people don't need. About a month ago, when I was working my old job this big burly man came into my store and bought $400 worth of statues and sculptures. It was great for the business and I won't deny I was glad to make the sale.

Then I have this sinking feeling in my gut. Guilt. I have a friend who has been to Tanzania, and intends to go back this next summer. She worked in a school in the slums of TZ. She also met many beautiful children, whom I have grown to love through her, with untreated HIV. The treatment is free, but they have to get to the hospital to get them, and most of them can't pay for the transportation. It only costs 9 dollars each month for a kid to get their medication. Perhaps 18, so an adult can go with the child to the hospital.

So I think back to this man that came into my store. 400 dollars. I wondered how many kids he could give medication for a month with that money. 44 children could have their medication for one month with 400 dollars. That just amazes me. It saddens me. If I gave 400 dollars a month to kids who need ARV's 44 children could have normal lives.

I don't know how to go into reality without thinking about this. Put on a smile as I fold up a 30 dollar t-shirt and think about asking them to return it so they can save the life of a child?

Everyone has heard about the HIV/AIDs epidemic...but people don't open their hearts.

I think people are living in the wrong reality. Anyone have any job ideas that could do the world some good?

No comments:

Post a Comment