Friday, November 5, 2010

All about shoes! (Sort of)

So this is a just a quick update, I posted about three weeks ago that I had found a job and I would like to tell you all about it. (Anyone?)

I work at a shoe store. It's not just any shoe store. This place has taught me a lot about customer service and honor. Most places we go don't care about their customers. They grab what the customer needs and get the heck out of there. Not here. No. Instead it is a full service  There is something so humbling about kneeling on the floor in front of a person and putting on their shoes for them. Helping them find exactly what they need. Making sure they get what they want, and doing everything I can to help them be a satisfied customer with not only cool, but comfortable shoes that one will be able to wear all day. I had never put so much thought into shoes before. They are important. I still would prefer to go barefoot, but in a Canadian City that is just not an option.

I seriously love my job. I love my boss and my co-workers. Every once in a while I have a customer that makes me want to scream, but it makes me appreciate all the others. I feel at home there, and comfortable with who I am. I am slowly allowing my shyness to disappear. Which is excellent.  One thing that was emphasized when I was interviewed was that we are a family and that we take care of each other, and I am seeing that daily. I love that so much.

The first week I worked my legs were sore from all the running around, squatting and climbing ladders, but I have grown accustomed to it. I know I had said that I really wanted to out of retail, and I did but this job was really God's choosing. I don't get bored here, which is extremely untypical of me. I love interacting with all the different people. As far as retail goes shoes is a good place to be. The hours are great. I only work one evening a week which is fabulous.

I am also told I am a talented salesperson. Today says otherwise, but we all have bad days as far as that goes.

There are two downsides to the job. 1: I am becoming a shoe addict. I suddenly think, dream, and love shoes. Oops. and 2: My feet hurt, but I think that can be corrected with proper shoes.

I don't think I mentioned how I got this job. I was walking around a strip mall beside a nearby train station and dropping resumes off at various locations. I had applied to a few places, and I walked by the shoe store. I stopped and considered dropping mine off there...and decided not to. So I continued walking. Then I stopped, feeling like a should go in. Whether it was God telling me, or the Pretty Purple shoe in the window....who really knows? I bet it was God, but the shoe definitely helped. So I went in and dropped off my resume. I really didn't expect to hear anything back from them. There were no "HIRING NOW" ads in the window not advertisements online. I had applied to so many places at this point and barely heard anything from anyone.

A few days later I got a call from my manager (I don't actually remember which one it was...) asking me for come in for an interview. She said that she hadn't been looking to hire but one of her employees was moving at the end of the month and she would need to find someone to replace her. Since my resume was on her desk, she decided to give me a call.

Talk about good timing huh? Perhaps its more God timing.

I have so many posts I have to write! I have some very good news as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment